Re: with big regrets....

Subject: Re: with big regrets....
From: "Mike Rooke" picnet2
Date: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:56 am ((PDT))
Since we were discussing the Shure WL183 / MX391O:

The Sony D50 set to gain 5 will show -1dB Full scale re 94dB. with the Shure
capsule.

The low noise omni (notice I still don't give the part number?) capsules
require gain 4.3 to show the same, thats about 10dB less.

For future reference when using the low noise omni capsule, a gain of 3 is
sufficient for the Sony D50 to capture the full dynamic range, add the limiter
and its very versatile.

----

In terms of the LS10, 94 dB will show -1dB full scale at gain level 2 when HIGH
sense is
used, and around -23dB FS at the same level with LOW sense for the capsule I
measured

Thus LOW level 3 gives around 20dB headroom above 94dB. OR without reducing the
noise floor, gain level 7 will show -5dB Full scale re 94dB SPL @ 1Khz.

The Sony D50 is still quieter / has a more pleasing noise when using the low
noise omni capsules than the Olympus LS10. Which i suspect is due to its lower
pip voltage which results in a less sensitive capsule.

In summary LOW and gain 7 is sufficient for field recording if there is no
sound pressure above 100dB.

I prefer Ribbon Mics when the SPL gets going.

BR
Mike.