1. Re: Olympus LS-10/11 Prerecord Buffer

Subject: 1. Re: Olympus LS-10/11 Prerecord Buffer
From: "Chris Edwards" chris2edwards
Date: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:15 am ((PDT))
On Fri, 17 Jun 2011, Peter Shute wrote:

| What do others use prerecord for?

I also have PCM-M10, which I chose partly for the 5s prerecord.

As Dan suggests, I wait in standby (record-pause mode) till the bird
sings, and then I hit "play", and I easily get the start of the call.

The alternative would be to leave the thing in record, which consumes
storage space and means more editing work later.

HOWEVER

I don't know about other devices, but the PCM-M10 prerecord is only
effective at the start of a file.  If, after the bird stops singing I hit
"pause", then on restarting recording with "play" there is no prerecord.
To get the prerecord again, it's necessary to hit "stop", and then
"record" to reenter standby, starting a new file.

As well as the irritation of temporarily losing the monitored sound in my
headphones, this can result in lots of short files.

So it might be nice to have the option for the prerecord buffer to refill
everytime a recording is paused (without going via stop).  But I guess
that may result in a file with extra bits of stuff, which some folk might
find strange...

Cheers