2. Re: Olympus LS-10/11 Prerecord Buffer

Subject: 2. Re: Olympus LS-10/11 Prerecord Buffer
From: "Peter Shute" pshute2
Date: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:06 pm ((PDT))
It depends how the manufacturers implemement prerecord. One way would be to=
 have a delay circuit that can be switched on and off, in which case it cou=
ldn't be added with a firmware update. Another way would be to continuously=
 record to a file, terminating it and starting again on another file after =
2 seconds, alternating between the two. Then all it has to do is combine th=
e bits it has when you press record.

But the latter method would mean joining several files and removing up to 2=
 seconds in order to have only 2 seconds prerecorded. If they use this meth=
od then it would be simple for them to make it 5 or 10 seconds, or even mor=
e, or to make it configurable. But they don't, despite it being a good sell=
ing point, so I'm guessing they use the hardware method and that they can't=
 add it with firmware.

It does seem odd that it's only available on a low end model. Maybe it will=
 be in the LS-12 if they release one.

I've just bought a PCM-M10, and one of the features I liked was the 5 secon=
d buffer. I haven't used it yet, and don't know if the buffer will turn out=
 to be as useful as I hoped. I've been wondering if a 2 second buffer is en=
ough. I'm anticipating using it for opportunistic recording for id while I'=
m birding. Whether I will find the recordings spoiled too much by the sound=
 of footsteps and handling noise, I don't know.

What do others use prerecord for?

Peter Shute