sit still or panic!

Subject: sit still or panic!
From: "Mark Brennan" markbrennanfinear=
Date: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:40 am ((PDT))

Hello all, There is a bit of a story to this recording. I am near a lake, 4=
0km
or so from the nearest house recording the Dawn chorus in an Acadian Forest=
.
It=E2=80=99s just getting light, the greens are starting to show in the dim=
inishing
gloom. I don=E2=80=99t have my headphones on but the recorder is running an=
d I can hear
some sounds off in the distance. I am fine with this, but they get closer u=
ntil
they are about 30m from me. Two weeks before I saw a mother Black Bear near=
 here
with two young cubs! I cant see what it is, but I can see the undergrowth
moving. I just about had myself convinced it was a bear. Now I have seen lo=
ts of
Black Bears in the wild and usually they take off but this was too close fo=
comfort! So I had to make a decision and a plan, what if it was a bear and =
how
would I let it know I was there without startling it. You can listen to thi=
s and
make up your own mind. Now that I have listened to the recording, I knew wi=
thin
about 10 seconds what it was. You can hear it challenging the microphones b=
ut at
this point I am not sure because the sounds are too muffled with my 100ft
cables. Anyway, needless to say, I survived but my heart was beating out of=
 my
chest for a bit! Black Bears, I love them.. But they would make short work =
of
someone like me who startled it so close. I normally carry bear spray, but =
this
time it was in my other pack. Can you tell what it was? I know because I sa=
w it
eventually! But the recording gives you some great audio clues.
=C2=A0
heres the link http://soundcloud.com/wildearthvoices/sit-still-or-panic
=C2=A0
I am sure most of you have had experiences like this!
=C2=A0
Mark
=C2=A0
=C2=A0
=C2=A0

Mark A. Brennan
Canadian Landscape Painter - web
Nature Recordist - web
Follow me on:
twitter=C2=A0 facebook=C2=A0 soundcloud=C2=A0 bandcamp