Re: Baseline Soundscapes - Best Practices?

Subject: Re: Baseline Soundscapes - Best Practices?
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Wed Jun 8, 2011 5:49 am ((PDT))
With the 722, depending on the mic pattern (we typically use
Sennheiser MKH 30/40 combos, for instance), with white or pink noise
we calibrate the input so that at 64dBA at the capsule, the meter
reads -30. (That way, one has plenty of head room and can determine
with fair accuracy ( roughly =B1 3dB) the input levels over a decent
range. With the Sennheiser MKH30/40 combo (MS), and absent access to a
decent pink noise generator and with the "pad" out, you  can
alternatively set the input to 56.7dB on the display and still be
fairly accurate with your input.) Then, at the head of each recording,
prior to the field slate, record a -30dB tone for reference. Seems to
work.