Baseline Soundscapes - Best Practices?

Subject: Baseline Soundscapes - Best Practices?
From: ""
Date: Tue Jun 7, 2011 8:47 pm ((PDT))
A question from a newbie for those who have tackled this aspect of document=
ing our vanishing wild sounds.

If you had the following equipment:

Fostex Field Recorder (FR2LE)
Microphones: MKH70 boom, 2 x AT3032 omnis, 50' +/- cables
Computer w/ Microsoft Soundbooth & Audacity (more familiar w/ SB tho)

How would you go about capturing a baseline?

I've got access to internet (periodically) and am currently remote so any r=
ecommendations on places to educate myself -- both now and once I'm back in=
 the connected world -- would be helpful.

Bernie -- your workshop w/ Martyn sounds great, probably what I should chec=
k into once I'm back this fall.

Tho I've been recording off/on (when I'm not taking photos -- and sometimes=
 then too) for ~5 years, I've still got a lot to learn...

So any pointers, tips, recommendations, cautions, etc. welcome! Thanks!

-Bonnie (normally Seattle area, remote AK til early-Sept.)
  for direct emails
Brief Bio:
Past Lives - Chem/Bio/Env.,Arctic,Civil Eng./Educator(UAA,various HS)/USAF/=
Defense Contractor/Dot-Com Tech.Proj. Manager
Current Life - Professional Photographer ([http://www.nwreflections.net] ww=
w.nwreflections.net , [http://show.nwreflections.net] http://show.nwreflect=
ions.net - these show the types of spaces I've been to gather sounds as wel=
l, the latter especially), Consultant, Nature Lover...