Re: Ultramic200K is an ultrasound microphone

Subject: Re: Ultramic200K is an ultrasound microphone
From: "" m_pesente
Date: Fri May 20, 2011 12:41 pm ((PDT))

--- In  "pondbat" <> wrote:

> Hi has anyone used the Ultramic 200K is an ultrasound microphone for reco=
rding bat echolocation, I can only find a few comments about the microphone=
 listed, no positive reports, looking to record in time expansion so any on=
e with experience please tell.
> (Already record TE on bat detectors)
> Thanks

I received Ultramic200K three weeks ago and I got very good recordings.
At the beginning I found some problems: the signal was exaggeratedly
high saturating inputs. Talking with Dodotronic the problem was
Windows 7, in fact lowering the level in windows mixer the signal was
rescaled in normal level.
The microphone was recognized as a standard microphone, so no driver
is needed, it's only necessary to plug it in a free USB port and to
launch SEA software. Every program able to record from a microphone
can be used but SEA programs let to see in real time the specrogram:
it's amazing! Therefore the free version SEAwave has many important
features and with the buffer it's possible to record only files where
there's a signal. Another important feature is the possibility to do a
time expansion of the files recorded so to make ultrasound audible
without artifacts introduced with etherodyne and time division
systems.
Dodotronic is announcing the production of the enhanced version of
Ultramic able to record at 250khz so all bat species can be detected
and recorded (ex. Rhinolophus hipposideros).
I like this device for the simplicity of use and for the price much
lower than similar devices. Moreover the quality is high and sounds
comes out from a very low noise.
Gianni Pavan  has provided a spectacular overview of the compressed timelin=
e that shows well the different sequences from two species of bats Pipistre=
llus kuhleii and Nyctalus sp. I recorded simultaneously using Ultramic200K =
and an Acer netbook.
See Bat Sonograms in the Files section http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/MLrWTQa=
6SYOfbPUQJPROSYt0NxMN3QTzmkP6z4JnJ8YYMRVXnPE5OZk4aq15nhGqYdMDhGhwQz5d__Kwek=
ApD11LLIhOElo/Bat%20Sonograms/wSpec%20nottola1%20at%20000000.000.png.
Hi!

Marco Pesente