Re: Epoxy for jecklin disc...?

Subject: Re: Epoxy for jecklin disc...?
From: "bleublancrouge24" bleublancrouge24
Date: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:28 am ((PDT))
danny,
marine grade epoxy is superior to do it yourself types. i support what mitch
has said. i've helped out a friend doing renos. he's a master carpenter and
lives on a boat so i've had some basic exposure to epoxy. if you have the
opportunity, try to find someone who fixes boats and see if they would be
willing to sell you a quantity that would be more reasonable for you (and
overall less expensive). and if they're into it, they'll be a wealth of
knowledge to help you out. instructions must be followed to a tee. the stuff
heats up, don't over mix it and apply withing the time window given or else.
there are also differences in how easy the hardened epoxy could be sanded
(handling characteristics).

i've used "west system" epoxy. they've got some good info on their site.
http://www.westsystem.com/ss/product-selection-chart/
example:
"Fillers are used to thicken the basic resin/hardener mixture for specific
applications. Each filler possesses a unique set of physical characteristics,
but they can be generally categorized as either Adhesive (high-density) or
Fairing (low-density).

Adhesive filler mixtures cure to a strong, hard-to-sand plastic useful in
structural applications like bonding, filleting and hardware bonding.

Fairing filler mixtures cure to light, easily sandable material that is
generally used for cosmetic or surface applications like shaping, filling or
fairing."

a boat fixer/builder would have a large variety of epoxies and you'll find what
will work best for you.

good luck,
P.