Re: Epoxy for jecklin disc...?

Subject: Re: Epoxy for jecklin disc...?
From: "Mitch Hill" wa1ykn
Date: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:12 pm ((PDT))
On 4/25/2011 4:31 PM, Danny wrote:
> Hello all, I am building a jecklin disc and I wonder if anyone has though=
ts, experiences, recommendations for an epoxy I could/should use to put the=
 pieces together that will hold up best over time in the field, in humid lo=
cations, hot, cold, etc.  Thanks!

> Danny

Danny,
Epoxy is great stuff, it is impervious to water and humidity and great
for building boats for this very reason.  Personally I prefere
ScotchWeld 2216 however that is a high strength commercial grade and may
be a bit difficult to find and expensive when you do.

Best bit of advice I can offer is stay away from the 5 minute and fast
setting types as they become very brittle, you want to use an epoxy in
the 15 minute to 1 hour setting range to get best performance.  Epoxies
are all very similar in nature, brand names are not important however if
you stick with well known brands, 3m, Dupont, etc. you will avoid any
question of durability and reliability. When bonding materials of
different types, an epoxy that does not become brittle with age is
important, the epoxy has to have the ability to give and take with
differences in thermal expansion and shock, a factor that causes
critical joints between different type materials made using a fast
setting (brittle) epoxy to fail...

Good luck with your project.

Mitch & Shadow...