[Nature Recordists] Blumlein Pair / Ribbon Mics outdoors.

Subject: [Nature Recordists] Blumlein Pair / Ribbon Mics outdoors.
From: Mike Rooke <>
Ive often wondered what two would sound like configured as a blumlein pair=

running into my Sony D50.

Heres a quick demo of the local din:-

Stock "T.Bone RB100" Ribbon mics (77 Euro each)
- both required a re-tensioning due to very slack ribbons.

http://soundcloud.com/urlme/t-bone-rb100-ribbon

Vibration handing terrible, wind seems ok in the Blimp. Self noise or rathe=
r the
transformer / low sensitivity and preamp noise from the D50 is evident even=
 in
this recording, which has EQ applied to remove some hiss and lower the reso=
nance
due to no shock suspension.

Still not bad for a completely dynamic setup.

I guess the old timers here are thinking, "been there done that."

I'll replace the ribbons with 1um aluminiumsed foil on a 2um mylar backing =
if a
different transformer proves better... tentative ideas.

End of transmission.

BR
Mike.