Re: UltraMic200K from Dodotronic - Long post (but short review)

Subject: Re: UltraMic200K from Dodotronic - Long post (but short review)
From: "ndbdxr" ndbdxr
Date: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:10 am ((PDT))
Hi Mike,

You explain it very well, that is great! I love your Blog post also, very n=
ice. This stuff is going in my notebook too!

Fooling around with the Ultramic & SeaWave last night was just crazy - Play=
ing around with the gain: I was able to hear through house walls.
Now, please don't think I'm crazy, but: I couldn't help but think that this=
 mic would be great for Paranormal Investigators!
(I do watch the TV shows from time to time : )
(I don't believe in ghosts, by the way) Thanks again!

Best regards,
-Al

--- In  "Mike Rooke" <> wrote:

> Regarding the preamp settings, Ive recently written the blog entry linked=
 below. I measured the Ultramic using a 94/110 dB calibrator and with the p=
reamp gain set to medium. In summary medium will manage around 120dB SPL, l=
ow would start to attenuate.

> http://www.urlme.net/blog/?p=3D1698
>
> I also compare the Ultramic with my "old" high frequency setup using a me=
ms mic and the Korg MR1- the Ultramic is far more useable in this regard ev=
en with the laptop dangling from it :)

> I was very impressed with the engineering and circuit layout of the Ultra=
mic - its a very well made product. An Impressive "spike" free response tha=
t covers the whole 100Khz audio spectrum.

> A welcome addition to any researchers/students/mad scientists microphone =
backpack.

> BR
> Mike.
>
> --- In  Gianni Pavan <gpavan@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Al,
> >     thanks for the positive review!  can you also post some spectrogram=
s and
> > sound snippets ?
> >
> >    concerning the digital gain.... you can add some digital gain to amp=
lify
> > the signal if it is too weak, but you don't improve the signal to noise
> > ratio that is given by the UltraMic. However if you increase the gain y=
ou
> > may have lower dynamic range on the high levels, e.g. if a bat comes mu=
ch
> > closer to the microphon. A great help is given by shifting the colour/g=
rey
> > range to change the levels in the spectrogram as you were
> > increasing/decreasing gain, but without affecting the recorded signal.
> >
> > Gianni
> >
> > 2011/4/15 ndbdxr <ndbdxr@>
> >

> > > Well, as many of you know, the UltraMic200K arrived the other day. Th=
> > > weather had been awful here in New York, but, Tonight was the first r=
eal
> > > test for evening bats. And it performed very well indeed!
> > > The sensitivity of this mic is phenomenal!
> > >
> > > I still have a lot of learning to do, as far as the SeaWave software =
goes,
> > > but I give it a thumbs up, overall. And it can be used with just abou=
t any
> > > software that detects a USB microphone. Audacity, etc.
> > >
> > > When it comes to the ability to pick up distant bats on the wing: The=
 mic
> > > easily matches my beloved BatBox Baton (the best performing bat detec=
tor of
> > > my collection).
> > > I will say, that this is the perfect ultrasonic microphone for those =
Nature
> > > Recordists & bat enthusiasts who prefer to muck about with equipment.=
 The
> [...]
ble.
> > > I've only tried a few so far.
> > >
> > > One of the most outstanding features of this device, is that it is ca=
pable
> > > of time-expansion bat detecting! To me, this alone was worth the pric=
e of
> > > admission. I've wanted a time-expansion bat detector for years now...
> > > Another reason that I'm very impressed by this device, is because unt=
il
> > > now, there hasn't been a low-cost ultrasonic microphone available to
> > > Hobbyists. So, I am pleased to report that the Ultramic200K costs as =
much as
> > > many conventional bat detectors. 200 Euro + VAT + Shipping. Many of t=
he
> > > specialty ultrasonic microphones on the market have been very high co=
st
> > > units, which also required additional add-on hardware in order to fun=
ction.

> > > Since most folks have laptops these days, just about anyone can have =
> > > professional style bat recording system that's actually affordable. A=
nother
> > > great feature of the Ultramic, is that it plugs right into any laptop=
, no
> > > additional hardware components are necessary.
> > >
> > > You can find SeaWave here: www.unipv.it/cibra/seawave.html
> > > I've completed some tests and comparisons on one of the first prototy=
pes of
> > > this unique microphone.
> > > Recording tests of the UltraMic200K reveal a very capable piece of
> > > equipment.
> > >
> > > The first thing that struck me, was it's ability as a microphone in
> > > general: It has simply amazing performance! It easily out-performs ea=
ch of
> > > the shotgun microphones I had to hand (including the well-known Sennh=
eiser
> > > MKE-300). The sensitivity of this (MEMs-based) microphone is astonish=
ing.
> > > This is especially noteworthy, as the Ultramic was not designed to pe=
rform
> > > as a shotgun mic.
> > > The main feature that I always look for in a new bat detector, is it'=
> > > ability to detect bats from a good distance away. And, I'm happy to r=
eport
> > > that the Ultramic200K can pick up bats at the same distances as my ot=
her top
> > > bat detectors.
> > >
> > > Among the options in the SeaWave dialog box, is an option to adjust t=
he
> > > Digital Gain. Well, just increasing the value in small increments pro=
vides
> > > amazing results - The mic becomes super-sensitive, but at the same ti=
me
> > > doesn't over-saturate or suffer from too much clipping ot distortion.=
 I'm