Re: The Ultramic200K - Avisoft ultrasound monitoring technology

Subject: Re: The Ultramic200K - Avisoft ultrasound monitoring technology
From: "Gianni Pavan" gianni_pavan
Date: Sat Apr 9, 2011 11:51 pm ((PDT))
science and technological development often run on many parallel roads... w=
should not polemize anymore and only tell about the enormous progress of th=
last 25 years. The Kay Sonograph DSP 5500 was presented in 1987 and
commercialized in 1988. I still own one my lab bought in 1988/89, its seria=
number is 0072, but it is broken. The cost was 80 millions of Italian Lires=
,
an enormous cost, many many times the cost of an average car. The software =
-
not real-time yet, used for the paper in 1987 derived from the one I
presented in my Thesis on computer analysis of bird songs in 1983. The
fastest cpu available in 1986 on personal pc was the Intel 8086 supported b=
the mathematical coprocessor Intel 8087 and only by programming in assemble=
it was possible to go near-real-time. In the next years it was required to
use additional DSP processors, like in the Kay, to get high frequency
sampling and real-time processing. However, in few years it was possible to
have a reasonable cost much faster cpus and larger storage.
This path was followed by many others and was obviously supported and made
possible by the lowering of computer costs and by the appearing of consumer
products, e.g. sound boards, with every day increasing quality. Freeware an=
shareware software also played an important role in widening the interest
for digital analysis of animal sounds.
Now we can have an almost complete bioacoustic lab with less than 1000=80, =
and
start working with few hundred euros. We should be very happy of this and i=
my lessons I always teach about the history and evolution of equipment.

Gianni

2011/4/9 Raimund <>

> > I would also recall the implementation of automatic frequency tracking,
> song
> > parsing and song description used for publishing a paper in 1987 on the
> song
> > of Cettia cetti. I see that something similar has been implemented in
> > Avisoft many years later...... mmmhhh strange....
>
> Gianni,
>
> I'm sorry to tell you that I wrote my first computer program for creating
> spectrograms also in 1987 during my studies in Electronics. I used an ATA=
RI

--
Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
Universit=E0 degli Studi di Pavia