Re: Tascam DR-100 noise

Subject: Re: Tascam DR-100 noise
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Wed Mar 2, 2011 7:09 pm ((PST))
> I got an 815 of similar vintage several years ago but have not used
> it yet
as I came up empty looking for adapters that would adapt. I got a
phantom to
Tuchl powering adapter but it didn't to my chagrin adapt to the plug
on the
mic...

Aaron,

Mine came with a tuchel cable, but I make up my own cables anyway. If
you know someone handy with a soldering iron, the plug body is
indentical to a 3-pin standard DIN female plug but with a screw cover.
Tuchel plugs are sometimes called 'Binder DIN' plugs. The wiring is
the same way around as if it was an XLR plug. A DIN insert will at
least get you going and you can stabilise the plug body with gaffer
tape or with heat shrink tubing.

You will need a windshield and long ones are hard to find, but you can
cut the ends of several short ones to make up the length over the
slots. Or you can look for blocks of open cell foam and experiment.
Test the foam by putting it over your ears. The way to shape open cell
foam is to soak it and freeze it then carve it and drill it while
frozen. If you can get fake fur to go over that, it will be even
better. You can hand hold it with a steady hand or make up two mic
clips on a bar.

I presume you meant a phantom to T-power adaptor. The 815 is almost
certainly T-powered needing 12V across the "live" connectors. I'm
using inline adaptors with XLR's on both ends.

You'll be pleased when you get it up and running as it has a good
"fetch" for wildlife - better than with the human voice, I estimate
five times the distance of a cardioid, and it has good separation from
side and back noise - up to 20 dB.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce