Tascam DR-100 noise

Subject: Tascam DR-100 noise
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Tue Mar 1, 2011 5:59 pm ((PST))
I've just checked out the noise on my DR-100 and also on m MKH815 I've
just bought on eBay. This is a golden oldie and came with a mark 1
Rycote gag and mount, mark 1 yeti and aluminium case all for =A3155 post
paid.

I'm impressed with the 815, and this is a nostalgia trip as I was
issued with one in about 1970 and used it for the 'Ascent of Man' in
1971 including on a migration across the Zagros mountains in Iran.
Sorry, I'm rambling.

Sennheiser certainly know how to make a mic last, and it holds up well
against my 816, Tuchel plug and all. I checked the noise but not the
sensitivity which is about a couple of dB down on the 816. I had a
residual LF noise at about 66Hz with odd harmonics, so I'm only
quoting above 1KHz. Sennheiser have got a steeper U curve on the 816
and hence lower hiss figures (468 weighting).

The MKH mics, including my woodland pair, were powered by the DR-100
through P to T power adaptors. With the high input level from the MKH
mics, he DR-100 input noise was well swamped. Level was set at 100%,
bass cut at 80Hz.

  broadband 815 noise -50 broadband
  broadband 816 noise -56 broadband

  narrowband noise

    815 at 100Hz -73
    815 at  1kHZ -86
    815 at  3kHZ -90
    815 at 10kHZ -93
    815 at 15kHZ -92

    816 at 100Hz -82
    816 at  1kHZ -95
    816 at  3kHZ -97
    816 at 10kHZ -94
    816 at 15kHZ -90

  DR-100 input noise with input load -105

Spectra at +40dB:
http://www.stowford.org/sounds/mkh815noise.gif
http://www.stowford.org/sounds/mkh816noise.gif
http://www.stowford.org/sounds/dr-100noise.gif

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce