Re: [Nature Recordists] Re: Upgrade from Fostex FR2LE

Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] Re: Upgrade from Fostex FR2LE
From: Gregory O'Drobinak <>
Fred:

The boundary array is not something I wear on my hat, nor is it affixed to =
the
M10.

The "hat trick" is just a variant of the common binaural mic setup. I just =
clip
each mic onto the bottom edge of a baseball cap above my ears. The main eff=
ect
here is the spacing of the mics and the diffraction around my head, but sin=
ce
the mics are not in my ears there is no effect from the pinnae. Sometimes I=

substitute a 7" dia. foam sphere for my head,=A0the mics being mounted on o=
pposite

sides of the sphere and facing forwards. This gives a much more reasonable=

stereo image in comparison to the built-in mics of the PCM-M10, but the big=
gest
problem is having almost no front to back differentiation of the sound sinc=
e the

mics are omnis and the baffle is symmetrical.

One way to overcome this and get a=A0much better=A0image for nature sounds =
is to
construct a "boundary" mic that gives a nice clean image and some front to =
back
differentiation. Here is a link that pretty well gives you a synopsis of al=
l of
the work done thus far by folks from this newsgroup:
http://diystereoboundarymics.blogspot.com/
Look for Vicki Powys' array which is down the first page a bit. It will bec=
ome
clear as you read and look at the picures. Most of this work has blossomed =
from
interest in the Crown SASS boundary mic which was developed to capture the=

natural ambience of sound environments. I have built a lightweight "SASS" c=
opy
using AT-4022 omni mics, but I would like to construct something similar to=

Vicki's boundary array to=A0plug into=A0my PCM-M10 using the ECM-17x mics. =
This
would make the rig very lightweight and it would be inexpensive.

I hope that this helps.

-Greg