Re: Recording in the rain

Subject: Re: Recording in the rain
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:58 pm ((PST))
> That is really nice David! Good stereo image and such clean sounds,

Mark,

Thanks.

> how do you have the MKH's setup or is it an M/S recording...?

I can't get that separation with M&S. The MKH-416's are at 45 deg, one
over the other to make the capsules equidistant for front sounds
optimised for a centre image. It's not perfect as I have different
sized Rycotes. One day I'll make a combined mount and windgag.

The background noise is a steep stream which runs down round half of
the wood. It echoes off the trees and is difficult to lose, but I use
an old trick from my filming days which is to lay the mics directly on
soft ground. With TV filming I've had mics in shot on many scenes. :-)
The mic pair is also behind the big oak which baffles the nearby parts
of the stream.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce