12. Re: Replacement for my Remembird

Subject: 12. Re: Replacement for my Remembird
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:20 pm ((PST))
> I have narrowed my mic down to either a Sennheiser ME66 or ME67
> either with the K6.  I have been told that the ME67 is much more
> directional and wondered you guys thought about it?

David,

I'm going on the specs of the MKH-416 and MKH-816 which are very
similar to the ME-66 and ME-67. The difference is that the ME-67 has
to be aimed accurately or the high frequencies go first. The ME-66
will still give good sound off-axis to about 30 deg. Two at 45 deg
give a stereo image with a good centre, which two MKH-816 (at least)
don't, so I guess the same will apply to two ME-67's.

A windgag makes much more difference to the long gun mic responses and
transmits much more handling noise into the mic. The cradle and gag
assembly is also much heavier and tiring to hand hold, giving rise to
muscle induced rumble. If you put it on a stand, it's difficult to aim
it at a moving bird. With birds at 5 to 8 KHz, you've got to be spot
on.

What is disappointing about the long gun mic is that the overall noise
rejection is not much better than the shorter version. I've tried
using the 816 on a hand boom for drama filming and it wasn't much
better than the 416 but it knackered my boomswinger. :-)

In short, if you want to pinpoint single birds, use a parabola, but
for groups and soundscapes the ME-66 is the one to use. You won't
regret getting one.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce