11. Re: Replacement for my Remembird

Subject: 11. Re: Replacement for my Remembird
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:47 pm ((PST))
> I'm generally very sceptical regarding these modifications.
> Certainly the esoteric descriptions and the lack of specifications
> on the Oade website are not very trustworthy to me.

Raimund,

Has anyone done any tests of the spec of the modded and unmodded
versions? Produced any tech specs? At mic levels THD is going to be
vanishingly low whatever.

Many years ago, the BBC Engineering Department did some tests and
discovered that human ears are very insensitive to harmonic
distortion. They found that 50% THD could be acceptable to many
listeners. What we hear is enharmonic or intermodulation distortion
which is not proportional to THD. THD is Hi-Fi bluffology.

I'm inclined not to believe that a reputable manufacturer of high
quality digital recorders didn't optimise their input stages.
Noise-impedance matching is the priority and the cost of the best
chips is small. Excess over thermal noise is typically 3 to 6 dB which
is way below any output from a mic with an active amplified output. I
use a 10dB attenuator with my MKH's and their (low) noise still swamps
my mixer input noise.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce