Re: mic advice for PMD661

Subject: Re: mic advice for PMD661
From: "atl" r0t0pan
Date: Thu Feb 3, 2011 1:37 pm ((PST))
howdy, briz.

this is AJ/cathartech from seattle and i too use the pmd-661, primarily to
gather ambience to use in soundscape production.  it's a really nice
recorder for its price.  i'm primarily using a pair of at853s on a flexible
t-mount (sourced from soundprofessionals.com) and a home made jecklin disc,
as well as an aquarian hydrophone and an old school sony parabola (not for
use with the hydrophone).  the noise specs on the at853 sucks (24dba), but
they are tiny, have multiple caps, and can handle high volume. i chose them
as a passable, infinitely cheaper substitute for dpa 4060s.  the at3032s are
legendary, but out of production.  the 4042 is its replacement...it has the
same specs, but at $100 more.

these links should help you figure out what the ideal mic for the built in
pres are.

https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/www/audio-reports/RecorderList/RecorderList.htm
https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/www/audio-reports/MicSpecCharts/Mics_16dBA.htm
http://www.rane.com/note148.html
https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/www/audio-reports/HiMD/index.htm

from the info above, the noisefloor of a pre needed to get the best
performance out of a 3032/4042 would be 125dbA -128dbA, right at the
threshold of the pmd-661's 125dBu.  other things to consider of course are
durability (gets a bit wet in our part of the world) and flexibility
(changeable polar patterns and gettings mics into weird places).

some pmd-661 caveats: headphone amp is noisy as hell.  also, i had to have
mine serviced after discovering a very weird jitter/quantizing noise issue
in the pre...maybe have been moisture induced.  i use the marantz carry
case, but it's by no means moisture resistant.

anyway, glad to see another cascadian weirdo musician on this forum.

-aj