Re: The Unknown Primate

Subject: Re: The Unknown Primate
From: "David Michael" corticalsongs
Date: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:09 am ((PST))
Thanks Richard for the identifications!

This recording was taken more than a year ago and I have just now
stumbled upon the screamers. They are truely unforgettable - Im quite
spooked by them (even more than the howlers). The Amazon is often
portrayed as a lush paradise in recordings, but really it oscillates
between a dream and a nightmare. Sounds like the screamers are
incredibly unsettling - and there are alot of bizarre and aggressive
sounding callers in the forest.

Our favorite game to play in Brasil was "bird, insect, amphibian,
mammal" because so many of the sounds were completely new to our ears
and you could never be quite sure what it was that made it
(environmental acousmatics?).

Thanks again, and to all who played this round of "bird, insect,
amphibian, mammal".

David