Re: Pro Walkman (was Re: [Nature Recordists] Re: Lyrebird)

Subject: Re: Pro Walkman (was Re: [Nature Recordists] Re: Lyrebird)
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:23 am ((PST))
<<No analog nostagia here->>

In an industry which is thoroughly rife with it, I have absolutely no
analog nostalgia myself. But with an ear accustomed to current 24bit
ADCs I'm continually amazed that the better cassette recordings,
especially those with a healthy modulation level, can stand up so well
alongside digital recordings, and I often mix the two in sound design
projects.

<<-I've always sought transparency.>>

What I believe is lost on many of the younger analog fetishists is
that the goal of all analog recorders & tape formulations was always
transparency, & never was intentionally about compression, distortion
or any notion of a mystical euphonious "glue" which "holds sounds
together".

Scott Fraser