Sony D-50 "boot loop problem."

Subject: Sony D-50 "boot loop problem."
From: "scratchpaws" scratchpaws
Date: Sat Dec 4, 2010 7:27 pm ((PST))
I have a Sony D-50 portable recorder barely three months old that did something
totally strange. Has anyone else had this problem?

During a shoot yesterday, I noticed that the Sony D50 I bought back in August
would not turn OFF.

When I moved the power switch to the OFF position, the machine went into a
"boot up loop," that is:

I'd turn it OFF after recording.
Screen goes black.
I get the "See you!" message.
Screen lights up again.
The word "SONY" appears as though it's gonna boot up,

Then the whole process starts over again

Screen goes black.
I get the "See you!" message.
Screen lights up.
The word "SONY" appears as though it's gonna boot up....

So, same thing late last night.
I get up this morning and turn it ON; it works fine until I turn it off, then
it goes back into the "boot loop" thing again.

I tried everything I could think of, even searching for a "RESET" on the
machine and in the Menu. I finally had to take the batteries out of it to shut
it down.

Then, I did something that apparently---so far---fixed it.
This is so strange---right out of the Twilight Zone:

I put the batteries back in it, then it starts the loop again.

Since it won't turn OFF, I take the batteries out of it in the OFF position. I
wait five minutes and put the batteries back in it with it in the OFF position.

Same problem---the "boot up loop" thing.

I take the batteries back out of it again in the OFF position and wait fifteen
minutes. I put the batteries back in it while it's still in the OFF position.
Guess what?

Problem solved: It's doesn't start the "boot up loop" thing.

So, I turn it  back ON. Machine boots up fine and is ready to record.
OK, I turn it OFF.

Back to the exact same problem---It shuts down and goes into the "boot up loop"
again.

I go back through the same process of removing and installing the batteries
with the machine in the OFF position.
Nothing changes.

Then, I have an idea.

With the machine in the OFF position and going through the "boot up loop"
thing, I remove the batteries.

I then move the power switch to the ON position before I put the batteries back
in it---had not tried that before: reinstalling the batteries with it in the ON
position. I install the batteries with the machine in the ON position.

Machine boots up fine and is ready for recording.
Now, I turn it OFF.

The machine shuts down fine with no "boot up loop" problem.
Putting the batteries back in the machine with it in the ON position instead of
the OFF position apparently solved the problem.

So, I turn it back ON and then OFF several times.
Same thing: No "boot up loop" problem.

Do-do-Do-do....

The machine now works fine.
Anyone ever had this happen to a Sony D-50?