Re: Responses to ambient sound recording

Subject: Re: Responses to ambient sound recording
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:00 am ((PST))
Hi--
Thanks for the interesting thoughts about a method to employ just
ones recorder and mics. I guess the method depends on whether Pratap
needs the usual, A-weighted measurements or consistent numbers for
personal use.

With the same record level and mics one generates consistency that
can be used in many ways. I can measure moments of presence with RMS
averaging and I even can "see" when significant differences occur in
the wave form display because my file saturations are high enough.
What I'm personally curious about is being able to translate RMS
A-weighted measurements in my DAW to dBA units because these numbers
match most of the other available references.

It makes sense to use both a 1K tone and band limited pink noise when
running the experiment.  Is there an opinion about whether the
speaker should be set-up at 1 meter?  Below are updated steps. Is the
math as simple as I describe in Step G?  Further corrections and
additions _gladly accepted_.

(A) Outside, at least 6' above open ground, play band-limited pink
noise, 200 Hz to 2 kHz from a speaker so each reads 64 dBA on a SLM
at 1 meter. (1K Hz step below)

(B) Set-up your field mics as physically close to the sound level
meter as possible and direct one of the mics at the speaker. Note
which channel was directed at the speaker.

(C) Set the preamp gain of your recorder (low cut off) at your usual
setting (must be a setting you can repeat).

(D) Make a recording of the pink noise reference sound.

(E) Play the 1k Hz reference tone and adjust speaker playback level
so the SLM reads 64 dB. Make a recording of this reference sound.

(F) Play each of the test types on your editing app and use A-weighted
measurement to determine the saturations the 64 dBA stimuli produced
in the recording .

(G) With these numbers you can use simple math to extrapolate
approximate dBA measurements calculated as -20 dBA plus the -
(negative) dBA amount subtracted from the 64 dBA reference level.
For example, if the pink noise measures -20 dB with A weighting in
your DAW, this means a moment of background presence that measures
-20 dBA is equal to 64 dBA. Thus, a location recording with a 30 dBA
ambient sound level should produce an A weighted DAW measurement of
-54 dBA, or -20 + -34 dBA (64-30).

I guess we'll see if the 1000 Hz tone produce a different RMS A
measurement and explore the significances.   Rob D.

  = = =