Subject: Responses to ambient sound recording
From: "Pratap Singh"
Date: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:21 am ((PST))
I am grateful to all who have responded to my request for suggesting sound
level meters. I am looking at various options suggested and learning the
technical issues involved. My main purpose is to explore possible linkage
between geographical variation of vocalization parameters of  Grey-hooded
Warbler (a bird common in Himalayan foothills) and  ambient noise variation in
different habitats.

Many of the sound level meters  I have searched on the web  give frequency
range from few hertz to 8000 hertz. The warbler I am studying sings from 2500
htz to about 9000 htz. I am not competent enough to understand fully the
implication of using 8000 Htz meter. I guess that the sound meter should have
freq range exceeding band width of the warbler vocalization. I request for
comments.

Pratap Singh