How do you listen?

Subject: How do you listen?
From: "corticalsongs" corticalsongs
Date: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:38 am ((PST))
I was curious to find out how and where you listen to nature recordings.

Whether mixing down a recording or listening for enjoyment, I find that most of
the time I listen with headphones. Headphones really isolate me from the
outside world and takes me to another.

Some of this may also be environmental as I spend much of my professional life
using a desktop computer in an open office. Headphones are really the only
option. Also my travel to and from work involves commuter rail - another
environment that encourages the use of headphones.

All that said, it is not uncommon for me to listen to over speakers, but I
often find that unless I am in a sound room, home listening over loudspeakers
can be mildly stressful if the content is intricate. I think this may be
because of a clash of sound spaces. Like looking at two images superimposed on
one another.

Interested to hear your take.

David