Re: Measuring ambient sound levels

Subject: Re: Measuring ambient sound levels
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:40 am ((PST))
At 10:29 AM -0800 11/23/10, Robb Nichols wrote:

>I haven't had an application for a highly accurate sound level meter, so
>I can't offer any personal experience. But if you want to try something
>really cheap and apparently really nice, check out this device at
>$30.59:
><http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/72-935.>http://www.mcmelectronics.c=
om/product/72-935.
>I bought one when
>it was on sale just because it was so cheap that I wanted to check it
>out and perhaps hack it someday for use with hydrophones. But it looks
>and feels like a really nice tool.

Looks like the Tenma Compact model Robb links to
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/TENMA-/72-935  measures down to
40 dB (A-weighting only) for $30. I see there are a number of Tenma
and B&K meters that go as low as 30 dB for under $200. 30dB is about
the same as a good, commercial sound recording studio and quite a bit
higher than outdoor levels in remote areas.

Does the meter's use of A-weighting present a problem for the
low-noise mics/recorder extrapolation method--with no matching
weighting in the recorder?  Rob D.