Re: Measuring ambient sound levels

Subject: Re: Measuring ambient sound levels
From: "Robb Nichols" robb_nichols
Date: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:29 am ((PST))
I haven't had an application for a highly accurate sound level meter, so
I can't offer any personal experience.  But if you want to try something
really cheap and apparently really nice,  check out this device at
$30.59: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/72-935.  I bought one when
it was on sale just because it was so cheap that I wanted to check it
out and perhaps hack it someday for use with hydrophones.  But it looks
and feels like a really nice tool.  I wouldn't necessarily count on its
accuracy at this price, but following this conversation this morning, I
got it out and turned it on.  In a quiet location, it registers down
into the high twenties and still responds consistently to very low
sounds like rubbing my fingertips together.  If it is worth the trouble
to you, you could make some reference measurements with your
high-quality mics and compare linearity.  Who knows?  Maybe it will turn
out to be some exceptional value.

I have at least one of the Radio Shack units around in a drawer
somewhere.  This little Tenma device seems far better--and it autoranges.

Regards, Robb