Re: Question Re: cassette recorders - And my $0.2 on the Ultrasonic

Subject: Re: Question Re: cassette recorders - And my $0.2 on the Ultrasonic
From: "vickipowys" vpowys
Date: Sat Nov 6, 2010 3:00 pm ((PDT))
On 06/11/2010, at 6:34 PM, ndbdxr wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I've been enjoying the thread re: USB set-ups for ultrasonic
> recording. I was pursuing a similar solution recently, to try for
> my yearly bat recordings. None of the low-cost cables (and ideas)
> worked in my case, so I gave up. As you may have seen, some cables
> out there claim to have the "soundcard built-in to the cable").
> Stay away from those 'Lightsnake' Cables, BTW.
> I also came to realize that the various mics (and mic capsules)
> aren't ideal for the freq. we're after (as other posters have
> stated). I hope the original poster finds a suitable solution for
> his needs soon also.
>
> Since I'm on a low-budget: Lately, I've been "eye-balling" the old
> Marantz 3-head and Sony tape recorders on e-bay. They look like
> they would be fun to experiment with; with various DIY mics, etc.
> I'm hoping to score a great deal on either a Marantz PMD420 or a
> Sony WM-D6C (if I could). Since, these too can sell for
> considerable $$$.
> I'm not sure which of the various Marantz models I should be
> setting my sights on? Or in other words, if anyone here could
> please tell me which model is the best performing/most desired?
> Aside from mic tests/experiments, I plan to use it with my various
> bat detectors for my overnight/un-attended recording.

Umm, how would you run a cassette recorder overnight unattended to
record bats, if one side of a cassette holds a maximum of only 50
minutes?  And if the recorder only captures up to about 15 kHz, how
will it pick up bats?

I have a Sony WMD6C that I have happily used for years but am now
appalled by the low quality of the sound compared to, say, Olympus
LS10.  Spend your money on a digital recorder.

Vicki