Re: ME67 handling noise, more info required

Subject: Re: ME67 handling noise, more info required
From: "Wil Hershberger" wil_hershber=
ger
Date: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:48 am ((PDT))

Yes, handling noise is very much a problem with this mike and any high gain=
 mic. There are a number of DIY shock mounts that you can make or purchase =
the Sennhieser shock mount and use a boom. You have to be careful of the ca=
ble as well as it will transmit sound to the mic. Once you get a shock moun=
t and a boom you'll get the hang of it very quickly and make handling noise=
 free recordings.

Wil Hershberger
Nature Images and Sounds, LLC
Hedgesville, WV
The Songs of Insects
My Blog

On Oct 30, 2010, at 11:47 PM, Stephen T wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> I would really appreciate a response from someone who has a ME66 or ME67 =
(both of which have the same sensitivity) and uses it with a Sony recorder =
(high gain pre-amps).

> Is handling noise a serious issue with the ME66/67?
> What shock mount/grip do you use?
> Any other remedies?
>
> Could something be lose inside? It seems that the only way to use my ME67=
 when the HPF is off is to mount it on a tripod. But shotguns are meant for=
 field recording, typically on boom poles, and I'm very surprised with the =
handling noise.

> Please note, this is not a wind noise problem.
>
> I need to decide if this unit is faulty, so that I can send it off for re=
pair before the warranty expires.