Re: ME67 handling noise, more info required

Subject: Re: ME67 handling noise, more info required
From: "James Shatto" wwwshadow7
Date: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:27 am ((PDT))

I don't own that mic.  But I did own some SM81's.  And their sensitivities =
proved more trouble than it was worth.  And even though they were the bette=
r mic to what I've been using in most of the other aspects, I opted to keep=
 using the least problematic child.

> Is handling noise a serious issue with the ME66/67?

It is a directional microphone, so handling noise without proper precaution=
s and "handling" will be problematic.  High gain only amplifies the issue, =
as structure born sounds have a far greater proximity to the mic than ANY o=
ther sounds.  Also bear in mind that aside from obvious gain and proximity =
issues, you can apply an HPF to tastes in post and lessen the severity of i=
t, but it's always going to be an issue with any directional mic.  The more=
 directional the bigger the problem.  The higher the gain the bigger the pr=
oblem.

> What shock mount/grip do you use?

I dont currently use a shockmount since my mics are far less directional an=
d far less sensitive to these noises.  I could still benefit from one and a=
m pursing a DIY option soon.  But you want at least two brace points at a s=
paced distance on such a large mic.  At least the bellow IMO.  The Azden on=
e looks good, the Rode one pushing it IMO, but looks can be deceiving.

http://www.tensimount.com/

> Any other remedies?
>

> Could something be lose inside? It seems that the only way
> to use my ME67 when the HPF is off is to mount it on a
> tripod. But shotguns are meant for field recording, typically
> on boom poles, and I'm very surprised with the handling noise.

Something could also be lose inside.  Without a sample it'd be difficult to=
 tell.

What's to be surprised about?  On a camera, you have a talking head (or mus=
ician) on axis.  On a boom pole you have people talking IN PROXIMITY of the=
 mic (lower gain).  And a script so you have a clue as to what's going to h=
appen before it happens.  You're still going to need a shock mount and to a=
ddress cable concerns.  And otherwise minimize movement to minimize handlin=
g noise.  In nature you have no script and push gear limits to their extrem=
es.  Which is rarely non-problematic.

> Please note, this is not a wind noise problem.

I never said it was, but that it can be.  Also note that when you move a mi=
c you have wind because the mic moved with relation to the air.  This can b=
e the typical rumble that we so hate.  And it can also be clicks and pops b=
ecause the mic element is bottoming out.

> I need to decide if this unit is faulty, so that I can send
> it off for repair before the warranty expires.
>

> Should I post some sound samples, where?

Samples would help.  If it's a problem with the mic it probably wont sound =
like handling noise.  But not always.

The yahoo group has limited upload options.  Plus a few other options.

drop.io
sendspace.com
megaupload.com
soundcloud.com