Re: More Cape Cod Coyotes...

Subject: Re: More Cape Cod Coyotes...
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:14 am ((PDT))
Rick,

Half of this rig is similar to what I'm using at the moment. My
Sennheisers have a similar polar pattern
http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/home_en.nsf/root/professional_wired-micropho=
nes_broadcast-eng-film_k6-series_003284?Open&row=3D2
but are a ridiculous price. Stick with the ME's, I just happened to
have the MKH's.

The one problem with getting stereo from a coincident pair of gun mics
is getting a good centre image. A 60 deg angle works with lower
frequencies and the human voice, but with higher pitched sounds like
warblers etc. there is a distinct fuzziness in the middle. A
coincident pair is also better if they are coincident as with the
capsules one above the other.

I've also been experimenting with a third mic in the middle panned to
the centre which gives a clean centre image but that is a ridiculour
rig. I'd recommend trying the mics close, and for birds, trying an
angle of 30 or even 20 deg. On the polar diagram 30 deg gives a clean
crossover at 6KHz.

The ultimate test is if you can reverse the phase of one mic and it's
worth making up a lead to do this. You can then hear where and
when the mics cancel out each other, the opposite of reinforcing the
centre image when they are in phase.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce