Re: Advice for Elk in PA?

Subject: Re: Advice for Elk in PA?
From: "natureguyusa" natureguyusa
Date: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:23 am ((PDT))

Hi Danny,

I am sorry, you missed bugling for the year in Pennsylvania. From what I no=
ticed the peak of the bugling is around the 20-23 of September, and the bug=
ling only lasts about 2 weeks, depending on the weather. I was there on the=
 8th and 9th of this month and I didn't hear anything. The best places for =
the Elk are still centered around the Benezette, Medix Run, and the Winslow=
 Hill areas. But, recording there is a challenge. Lots of crowds show up fo=
r the bugling and sightseeing. The only times I was able to record were dur=
ing weekday nights, late Sunday nights, or past midnight on other days. It =
still is a good place to catch some photos during dawn/dusk. The Elk mostly=
 start bugling around sunset and during the night. I rarely heard them duri=
ng the day or morning, unless it was a young Elk. Since I recorded the Penn=
sylvania Elk album, the DNR started redistributing the Elk for a "fairer" h=
unt. The Elk are now scattered in Elk, Cameron, Clearfield, and Clinton cou=
nties. What the redistribution has done is make less competition for the bu=
lls, and they don't bugle as often anymore. You can scout around and maybe =
get lucky on the back roads during the bugling season. I drove around one y=
ear listening for them at night and ended up hiking a 1/2 mile in the bush =
to get some awesome recordings. That was one scary night spent worrying abo=
ut bear or confronting a mean Elk.

You might want to try down in Kentucky or extreme northern Tennessee. The b=
ugling peak there is in the 1st to 3rd week of October from what I hear. Th=
e Elk population is much larger down there, but I haven't found any great a=
reas to see and record them down there yet. This late in the season, there =
might be some bugling going on in Arkansas, with their herd. I am not sure =
what happens in the Western states as I have never been out there in the Fa=
ll.

I hope this helps,
Bruce Rutkoski
www.natureguystudio.com

--- In  "dannymeltzer" <> =
wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I am going to be in PA this weekend, up near State College which is not t=
oo far from the Elk herd up there.  Bruce, I know you have recorded there b=
efore...and I just wanted to ask if anyone has advice for good spots to rec=
ord [I wouldn't begrudge anyone wanting to keep good spots secret, but in c=
ase not...].  I gather the good places are centered around Benezette.  And =
can anyone tell me if they are generally silent at night, or sometimes voca=
l then as well?  I would assume dawn is the best time to record them, just =
like birds.

> Does anyone think that it's late enough in the season that it's not worth=
 driving over there to try?  Seems like about a month later than the normal=
 peak rutting season, but it's also been pretty warm here this autumn so fa=
r.