3. Re: Beginner Equipment Question

Subject: 3. Re: Beginner Equipment Question
From: "Mike Rooke" picnet2
Date: Fri Oct 8, 2010 4:42 pm ((PDT))
Gene to assist with your work here,

Translated to Sensitivities re 1V/PA.
Higher sensitivity increases the SNR

> Hand-held Recorder PIP Test:
>
>                                                 wo/mic            w/mic
>
> Sony MZ NH900                    2.3v                 0.49v

Sensitivity less than -42dB re 1V/PA /8mV

> Marantz PMD-620                  4.3v                 2.4v

Close to -28 dB re 1V/PA or 39mV/PA

> Sony PCM-M10                      3.0v                 1.3v

Close to -32 dB, or 25mV/PA
> Olympus LS10                        3.0v                 2.1v

Close to -29 dB or 35mV/PA

All values +-3dB as per the capsule spec.

> wo/mic  -  Open circuit PIP voltage;  No mic(s) plugged in
>
> w/mic  -  measured voltage at same points but with stereo(2) EM172 plugged
> in
>

> The PMD-620 and LS10 will probably work ok with the EM172s.
>

> What's more important is how they sound.  I hope to record with the same
> recorders with the same stereo pair of EM172s this weekend. I will test with
> high mic gain in "quiet room"  and then in an actual "nature" setting.

Considering the price and sensitivity its important to discuss the final mic
rather than capsules.

> Another test I plan is to compare the quality of recording with and without
> a battery box.

EMI/RF Screened or coated box works well.

> The FR2LE was not included since its not a hand-held PIP recorder.  I am,
> however, trying out some EM172/173  48v phantom powered

10K resistors are your friend.

-Mike.