Re: Parrot Communication

Subject: Re: Parrot Communication
From: "Michael Dalton" mdaltonarielle
Date: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:21 am ((PDT))
Dan,
=A0
The bird speaks in five different voices, some might sound like a robot to =
you. Some samples might have had automobile noise removed because some list=
eners can not concentrate on the speech through noise.
=A0
There is a type of "low-frequency" speech with high harmonic content that I=
 term "purr speech." The words are not discernable by people who have no tr=
aining in decoding such speech.
=A0
I appreciate that nature recordists make aesthetic recordings. My work is r=
esearching intelligent speech by talking birds; I am ultimately interested =
in recordings that people understand. What do you suggest to make recording=
s more intelligible that do not have much processing? Some of the samples y=
ou heard have no processing.
=A0
Mike
Florida
www.ParrotSpeech.com

=A0

Re: Parrot Communication
Posted by: "Dan Dugan" =A0=A0Wed Sep=A029,=A02010 3:24=A0pm=
 (PDT)

> People interested in communication with animals might enjoy a news progra=
m about my macaw, Arielle. Please pass on to animal lovers, linguists, fell=
ow bird owners, biologists, psychologists, and others who might be interest=
ed in this unique interspecies communication experiment. The video is at

> http://www.myfoxtam pabay.com/ dpp/news/ local/parrot- talks-interactiv e=
-092810

> Parties can listen to speech on a section below the video. It is surprisi=
ng that knowledgeable listeners, including linguists, are often incapable o=
f decoding their own language. Self testing is possible, but with the answe=
rs on the site--no cheating! Let me know if anyone understands the clips.

I could understand several, despite the awful noise reduction artifacts tha=
t make it sound like a robot. Back off on that process!

-Dan