Re: Owling in California, revisited

Subject: Re: Owling in California, revisited
From: "hartogj" hartogj
Date: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:12 am ((PDT))
Hi David,

How annoying, that is really too bad. I was wondering if something was up w=
ith the recording, because the GHOW calls sounded buzzy like they were clip=
ping. Looking at a spectrogram I noticed highly stacked harmonics on all th=
e owl calls, which seemed really unnatural. It is at least a relief to know=
 now that nothing is wrong with your equipment.

John Hartog

--- In  "Kawika" <> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
> When it came to light with Martyn's help that I had recorded the voices o=
f not two, but three!! species of owl, a quiet skeptical voice whispered "t=
oo good to be true".  Others of you may have heard a similar voice. I start=
ed looking at the facts--
> 1. All three voices came from the same direction, left of center
> 2. The calls were evenly spaced, about 30 seconds apart
> 3. A mixed-species flock of owls would likely be a major news event in or=
nithological circles
> 4. I listened again carefully to this file--the Great Horned Owl voice se=
quence is strangely truncated
> 5. While this meadow is more than a mile from the nearest road, it was po=
ssible there had been others present at this meadow before I returned to re=
trieve my well-concealed gear at 0630
> 6. So, if a birder had been there using playback to see what owls might b=
e there, what recordings might have been used?  There are two birding apps =
available for ipods--Sibley's and the one called IBirdPro. I checked Sibley=
's, no match. IBird Pro, E Voila!!  The recordings on this app match perfec=
tly the voices I recorded.

> Well, the Mkh 20's and the SD702 did a great job of capturing what was th=
ere to hear.  But the real Spotted Owl recording I got remains the most val=
uable for this trip.

> I have enjoyed the humor of this--
>
> Aloha,
> David
>

> David Kuhn
> www.soundshawaiian.com
>

> 808 335 0398
> Cell 808 651 8247
> Mail to: PO Box 1018
> Waimea, Kaua'i HI 96796
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>
> --- In  "Kawika" <dkuhn012001@> wrote:
> >
> > Of course!! You are right Martyn, Northern Pygmy--I was so amazed to ge=
t two species, was sure of the first as W Screech, the second as a  Great H=
orned pair, and thought the third must be a W Screech variant call--surely =
not three species calling from nearly the same direction.

> > Thanks so much for listening--I was even luckier than I knew!
> > Aloha,
> > David
> >

> > David Kuhn
> > www.SoundsHawaiian.com
> > email:david@
> > 808 335 0398
> > cell 808 651 8247
> > Mail to: PO Box 1018
> > Waimea, Kauai, HI 96796
> >
> > --- In  Martyn Stewart <mstew@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I am fairly convinced that the last owl call is that of the Northern =
Pygmy Owl. I know the first calls are definitely western screech and great =
horned owl but i'm sure the other is the NPOW