Re: Sony PCM-D50, PCM-D1 or Sound Devices 702?

Subject: Re: Sony PCM-D50, PCM-D1 or Sound Devices 702?
From: "corticalsongs" corticalsongs
Date: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:47 am ((PDT))
Hi Pete

You will likely get much more detailed responses, but I just wanted to enco=
urage you to start recording within your budget. There is no reason in toda=
y's technology market to spend too much on quiet mics and recorders.

Have you had a look at Rob's list of recorders?

https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/www/audio-reports/RecorderList/RecorderLis=
t.htm

I think you will find that the Sony PCM-M10 and its brethren are less expen=
sive and have a lower noise floor. Fostex FR2LE is absolutely the quietest =
in this price range, also a very excellent recorder. Be aware that your cho=
ice of recorder affects the type of microphones you will be able to use.  T=
he Sony's are well suited for PIP microphones, for instance. Here is about =
where my knowledge ends on this subject, so I will defer to the list.

I have found that nature/field recording is such an incredibly nuanced form=
 that you will likely have a number of recorders (and microphones) as time =
passes and you experiment with what you like to hear and record. So I am af=
raid that it is not possible to get the right gear the first time :)

David

--- In  "Peter A" <> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm very exited to start making nature recordings of streams, storms, rai=
n, crickets, etc., that are all very quiet and subtle sounds.

> I've read all the reviews on Amazon and I'm just about ready to pull the =
trigger on the D50.  However, I've read that the D1 is even quieter (a lowe=
r "sound floor") but it's 3x-4x the cost.

> Money is tight but I want to buy the right gear the first time.  I hear t=
he Sound Devices 702 is the best but it's about $3K once you buy a decent s=
tereo microphone, etc.

> I guess my question is this... is the D50 "good enough" to get into natur=
e recording or is the D1 and 702 just so much better to justify the greatly=
 additional cost?