1. Re: Surround Sound / Wildlife Recordings

Subject: 1. Re: Surround Sound / Wildlife Recordings
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Wed Sep 8, 2010 9:06 pm ((PDT))
At 3:23 PM -0500 8/28/10, Rob Danielson wrote:

>At 11:00 AM -0700 8/28/10, Dan Dugan wrote:
>>

>>  > I never met a HP filter I liked except
>>>  for achieving something unnatural.
>>
>>Lately I've been trying 6dB/octave (the most gentle) high-pass to
>>take out the heightened rumble (loudness perception) when a natural
>>environment gets turned up unnaturally. Given that the rumble
>>usually tilts up at a rate something like that, the gentle HP seems
>>to restore the natural-sounding "pink" spectral balance.
>>
>>-Dan
>>

>Hi Dan--
>I know you're busy right now, but when you do have some time, can you
>upload one or two clips from recordings that have responded well to
>6dB/octave HP,..? Even better to include the original(s) and
>copy(ies) with HP filtering applied to your taste? We might as well
>put it to an acid test. :-) If possible, something with excessive LF
>on the mild side and then something more aggressive might prove
>useful. Rob D.

Hi--

For those who are interested in some follow-up on this discussion,
I've made a comparison movie using a thunderstorm in a wooded valley
as a source of low frequency energy to compare the use of lower
mid-range parametric filtering to 6 dB/Octave High Pass filtering:
http://tinyurl.com/2apv8yy

There are 4 channel surround (quad) and stereo versions as well as a
"mixed" 10 minute piece using the lower mid-range parametric notching
technique.  This technique leaves most of the energy under 100 Hz in
tact to contribute harmonic structure to the lower midrange spatial
cues. The mixes are best evaluated on speakers as they've not yet
been tuned for varied headphone playback.

For those who do not have QuickTime installed on their computers, VLC
Media Player is free, cross-platform and easy to use play the movies:
http://www.videolan.org/#  Launch VLC,  use "File" Menu -> "Open" and
navigate to the .mov file.  Adjust volume to a comfortable playback
level.

For those with 4 or more channel sound cards connected to their
computers, here are the (PC & Mac) QuickTime set-up instructions:
http://tinyurl.com/y5gbcd5  Rob D.

  =3D =3D =3D

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: