1. Re: Surround Sound / Wildlife Recordings

Subject: 1. Re: Surround Sound / Wildlife Recordings
From: "leese_martin" leese_martin
Date: Fri Sep 3, 2010 2:00 pm ((PDT))
--- In  Rob Danielson <> wrote:
> Hi Martin--
> Thanks for your interest in improving my listening experience. I
> reall would like ti get set-up where I can play ambi work I run
> across easily and effectively.
>
> I noticed the square layout recommendation. I'm set-up/calibrated for
> 5.1 as per http://tinyurl.com/34qsegr and I'm mixing with that
> everyday. Unfortunately, its quite a chore to move and re-move the
> speakers. The recordists I exchange work with use the 5.1 layout for
> 4 channel work. Its a big convenience to use a layout that is
> compatible with stereo. The studio is sound treated, the imagery
> shouldn't have much trouble asserting itself.

You don't make it clear, but it sounds like
your four speakers were *not* in a square,
and are in a large sounded-deadened room.
There is some theoretical work which suggests
that people prefer reverberation (but not
early reflections) in the listening room.

As I wrote before, using only four speakers
is on the border of stability.  Ambisonics
was intended for domestic living rooms, and
your room is a tricky situation for it to
handle.

I can't help you with a Mac or with using
Reaper.  There are people on the "sursound"
e-mailing list who can help you (this is
where the Ambisonic crowd hangs out).
Visit: