Re: Windscreen research & discussion site?

Subject: Re: Windscreen research & discussion site?
From: "Paul Jacobson" thebrunswicktwitcher
Date: Tue Sep 7, 2010 10:28 pm ((PDT))
On 08/09/2010, at 2:47 AM, Steve Duncan wrote:

> Does anyone know of any sites that go into windscreen design or
> experimentation, ala diystereoboundarymics or similar?
>
> I've gotten my capsules wired and mounted, but wind protection needs to be
> integrated into the final design.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for bringing this up :)

There are a quite a few sites with how-to's on building windscreens but as far
as I know there is anything that I'd classify as "experimentation" in the sense
of conducting tests to evaluate performance.

I've done a couple of quick tests to follow up on observations that a layered
fleece-foam-fleece construction was having a significant effect on HF content.
The following observations are relative to an uncovered, flush to boundary
mounted AT3032.

- A single layer of thin fleece seems to cut frequencies at 4khz by around 2dB
as a worst case.
- Adding a layer of thin foam to the fleece increased attenuation to 4dB at
3khz, and added a roll-off above 8khz resulting in 4dB attenuation at 12khz.
- A pull on wind-cover made with two layers of lycra and thin foam, rolls off
from 1khz to attenuate by 5dB between 4khz and 6khz. The level of attenuation
drops back to 2dB at 9khz before rapidly increasing to 7dB at around 14khz.
- An old, battered Rycote Windjammer cover pulled over the same setup
attenuates 2dB between 2-6khz,  is 1dB down between 7-8.5khz, then rolls off to
attenuate by 4dB at 12khz.
- The Rycote has 1-1.5dB less attenuation than unlined "yeti fur" between
2-10khz, and has up to 4dB less attenuation above 10khz.

The challenge seems to be to find materials and construction that reduce the
impact of wind noise, but which are "transparent" in terms of influence on
sound. At this point I'm seriously considering cannibalising the Windjammer to
replace the lycra-foam-lycra cover I currently use.

cheers
Paul