Re: MOTU Traveler. Was "Mic arrays and M/S behaviour"

Subject: Re: MOTU Traveler. Was "Mic arrays and M/S behaviour"
From: "Luiz do Carmo" lecarmo
Date: Sat Sep 4, 2010 12:43 pm ((PDT))
The kind of location situation where I would be reluctant to trust a mechan=
ical
drive, i.e. recording during run & gun over the

shoulder documentary style sound gathering, is one where a laptop would not=
 be
applicable anyway.

That's the point, Scott. I'll be exposing the gear to all kinds of 'dangero=
us'
situations.

I think in a few years the fact that we relied on spinning disks with physi=
cally
moving

playback heads will be seen as impossibly quaint.

I agree, but I believe that spinning disks will still be in use for
storage/backup purposes, since the data hardily vanishes the disk even afte=
mechanical failure -- if the 'right' professional/company is hired (I've ha=
d an
irreversible data loss as a consequence of bad handling by the
'professionals/company' hired to retrieve what was supposedly rescuable).

Luiz