Re-Test SD702 vs Tascam DR680 (was SD702 vs Tascam DR580 Blind)

Subject: Re-Test SD702 vs Tascam DR680 (was SD702 vs Tascam DR580 Blind)
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:32 pm ((PDT))
Hi --
As Emil described, there was a language mix-up
that lead to me using a set of recordings for the
first test where the trim knobs on the DR680 were
not at maximum.

I've made a new blind comparison test out of
re-done clock and ambience recordings with both
recorders set a Maximum Record Gain. The SD702's
recording needed 10.5 dB gain in post to match
the playback level above 70 Hz of the DR680's.
Emil's new recording was made about 8pm with much
more Low Hz activity in the background which
allows a key difference in the recorders to be
more obviously seen and heard if monitored with
good headphones or speakers with very good low Hz
response.

http://tinyurl.com/36rs6om includes .zip link for
downloading the 3mb QuickTime movie.
There's a link to a page that identifies the recorders.

As to what pre gain numbers to assign to these
recorders I defer to the audio engineers and
shall never cite them again until I better
understand the discrepancies.

In the "DR680" compartment in my mind there is
now a asterisk that reads, "This recorder has a
comparatively high gain mic pre-- capable of 10
dB more file saturation than my SD744T recorder
and around 13dB more than my MixPre. "  Of
course, I don't own a DR680, but maybe someday I
will.  Rob D.

  =3D =3D =3D