Re: ORTF with WL184's, WL185's or boundary mic with WL183's?

Subject: Re: ORTF with WL184's, WL185's or boundary mic with WL183's?
From: "Steve Duncan" swduncan
Date: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:47 am ((PDT))
I think that makes sense - hadn't thought of the noise.

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 2:13 AM, hartogj <> wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> The specs show the 183 to be the best of the three regarding self-noise (=
WL183: 22.5, WL184: 27.0, WL185: 28.0 dB SPL.) =A0None of those figures are=
 very good for nature recording, still some of my favorite soundscapes reco=
rdings I made with two WL183 strapped to the trunk or large limb of a tree.=
 Many others turned out not so great because of the self noise.

> Besides the lower self noise of the omnis, I think it is also easier to b=
ury that self noise because sounds from all directions contribute to the su=
bstance of the recording. I am not saying you won't get excellent results w=
ith the directional capsules, but you may have to work harder to get them, =
especially with several more dB of self noise.

> Your distance question is hard to answer because that depends on the dyna=
mics of the specific natural setting, but I think the difference in self no=
ise may be more important than polar pattern or array.

> John Hartog
>

> --- In  Steve Duncan <> wrote:
>>
>> What do you suppose the relative differences would be between an ORTF ma=
de with either Shure WL184 (super cardioid) or WL185(cardioid) mics, or a b=
oundary system (ala Curt Olson) using WL183's?

>> Seems like the 183's might be more versatile overall (i.e. in other appl=
ications), but the ORTF might make a smaller package.