[Nature Recordists] Re: ORTF Recommendations

Subject: [Nature Recordists] Re: ORTF Recommendations
From: gt <>
Date: Monday, August 23, 2010, 5:39 PM

=A0

      Myles,

As you might know there is a specific criteria for ORTF which is 17cm apart=
 at a 110=B0 angle with cardioid capsules.  This configuration was original=
ly conceived by the French national broadcasting agency for radio & tv work=
, not for nature recording.  In a concert hall or TV studio you typically h=
ave a recording subject on one side of the room and an audience or cameras =
on the other.

Natural soundscapes are 360=B0 so all of this is to say that I very my micr=
ophone details based on the location and what my ears hear.  If I need a nu=
ll in the recording to exclude a road or highway, then I reduce the angle s=
omewhat.  There are no hard rules except to experiment; if it sounds good i=
t is good.

With two individual microphones (rather than one integrated stereo mic) you=
 will have more future flexibility.  For example I can use a figure 8 mic w=
ith my wide cardioid to achieve an M-S pattern.  This might be more difficu=
lt with a stereo mic array.

The difficult part of recording for me is to find "venues" free of human so=
unds, once I have that the easy part is setting the mics up and hitting rec=
ord.  What I want to stress is don't sweat the details of a rig and get out=
 and record!

--- In  "myles.thompson" <> wro=
te:

> As a novice, I like the fact that the Schoeps ORTF configuration is fixed=
 at a pre-ordained angle - but I guess that may hamper future creativity.

> Greg - I noticed that you wrote on your site that the Schoepps setup you =
use allows you to deviate from the ORTF standard without hurting the image.=
 I'm wondering if this is something way advanced of anything I could possib=
ly conceive of at this stage - or if experimenting with angles and distance=
s between mics is something you would recommend from the offset. Have you c=
ome to any conclusions about the best angles and distances to use - or do y=
ou adjust according to the individual situation?

> --- In  "gt" <gweddig@> wrote:

> > Thanks for the shout-out Dan.  I have been using an ORTF configuration =
for many years.  Though I use an MK21 capsule which is a "sub-cardioid" or =
wide cardioid.  I believe the side cardioid is more forgiving with regards =
to a hole in the middle and provides a very wide soundstage.  Not so good f=
or mono compatibility maybe but I don't care so much about that.

> > I have had some issues with the Schoeps in high humidity but I deal wit=
h it in the rare occasions it occurs.

> > Myles let me know if you have any questions.

> > --greg

> > Paradise, CA

> > http://gregweddig.net

[snip]