2. Re: SD702 vs Tascam DR680 Blind Test

Subject: 2. Re: SD702 vs Tascam DR680 Blind Test
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:23 pm ((PDT))
Hi Paul--

By "unity" I mean the default setting on the 744T balanced line input
coming from the balanced line out of the Mix pre. Plain vanilla. No
gain, no cut.

You are blowing the circuits in my feeble (non) audio engineer brain.
If the SD pres have only 46 dB total gain, how can there be mic pres
made for ribbon mics spec'd at 70dB gain?

What is the 66dB gain spec about in the Mix Pre manual and why did SD
make the displayed gain settings in their units so misleading?

The 2.64dB difference  is also consistent with 66 spec for the MixPre
and 68 dB as the SD 7xx displays.

The actual gain numbers don't concern me as far as comparison testing
topic goes. I would like to know the source of the 14 dB SD702 and
DR680 difference. I'll get back when  I find out what Emil's settings
were on the DR-680. Rob D.

  =3D =3D =3D =3D

\