5. Re: M/S recording setup

Subject: 5. Re: M/S recording setup
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:07 pm ((PDT))
Hi James--
It worked, sample for sample using your E and C
chords/files. Here is the Reaper Session I used
with +Matrix plugs and with all the file
mentioned below:
https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/public/media/James_MS_TEST.zip (8mb)

I took your E chord and made that Mid

I took your C chord and made that Side

I made a stereo file with Left=3DMid and Right =3D Side

I decoded the above file as a recorder would and
created this file: MS_Decoded.wav

I sent that through MS ->L/R Processing (at
unity) and then L/R ->MS Processing (at unity)
and produced this file: MS-LR-MS.wav

MS_Decoded.wav  and  MS-LR-MS.wav are the same.

Rob D.

  =3D =3D =3D =3D

t/~shadow_7/MS_TEST.sh><http://home.earthlink.net/~shadow_7/MS_TEST.sh>http=
://home.earthlink.net/~shadow_7/MS_TEST.sh

>incomplete extension on the uploaded file. .sh?
>

>>It uses bash and sox to synth some pitches
>
>>across a broad range. Kept the root and 5th of
>
>>a chord unique to M and S. Mixed a common tone
>
>>(the third of a chord) between the two tracks
>
>>and the results were interesting. -S for the
>
>>right channel completely cancels out the 3rd of
>
>>the chord on the right channel. When going from
>
>>M and S to L and R.
>

>>Going from the generated L and R back to M and
>
>>S. And +S and -S don't cancel each other out
>
>>anymore. And to make matters worse the 5th
>
>>which was unique to M (and NOT S) is the result
>
>>of trying to cancel S out. Not that it's a real
>
>>world practical test. And I probably didn't get
>
>>the math just right. But it seems a bit
>
>>interesting to me. Assuming that it's not some
>
>>software quirk with sox or my math.
>
>Hi James--
>
>Should work with any two, single channel sound
>
>files. Seems like your patch has issues.
>
>Has anyone done this experiment with a PC
>
>compatible plug-in in that is simple (e.g. having
>
>only mid and side gain adjustments with a unity
>
>position) like "+Matrix" is for Mac?
>
>Maybe try the experiment using the suggested simple MS matrix plug-in? Rob=
 D.