Re: fostex fr 2.

Subject: Re: fostex fr 2.
From: "Max" oatcruncher
Date: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:56 am ((PDT))
Hi Juan,
Sending you recordings wouldn't really be helpful, because there are so man=
y variables. The recording environment with all it's variables such as wind=
, humidity, microclimate, etc. Then there's subject matter, and most import=
ant of all, microphones. If the microphone has a self noise greater than th=
e recorder, then you don't get a true picture of the recorder's capabilitie=
s.
The best advice is to lay hands on an FR-2 and play with it. What I can tel=
l you, is that this is my favourite recorder to use. I love the solidity of=
 it, I love the single knob menu scan and the nice positive click when you =
push it to select. It's headphone amp is not the best, but not that bad eit=
her. It's biggest downside probably, is it's weight; it's heavy! If you int=
end to walk miles recording, then it might be a better idea to go for somet=
hing else. As you'll read on this group, it's baby brother the FR2-LE is ve=
ry highly regarded. I have one of these also, and can attest to the quality=
 of the mic pre's and the headphone amp. It has quirks, and it's light plas=
tic construction doen't engender a lot of faith that it will stay together,=
 but I've not actually heard of anyone breaking one. Have a good troll arou=
nd on this site; you'll find an enormous amount of info available, almost t=
oo much at times! The one thing to keep in mind is, that everything is a co=
mpromise.
All the best
Max

--- In  "Juan Pablo" <> wrote=
:

> Max,
> Can you send me a couple of recordings?
> I reed on the manual tht the maxium capacity is 8 gb cards. I'm buying th=
is machine because my marantz pmd 671 crashed and it's out of guarranty. I =
believe that the fr 2 is a good option.