Re: MS recording setup

Subject: Re: MS recording setup
From: "myles.thompson" myles.thompson
Date: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:20 am ((PDT))

--- In  ScottFraser <> wro=
te:

> <<22050 was a bit of an exaggeration on my part. But, I'm talking about t=
aking a file that was already matrix'd into stereo (LR) from MS to derive t=
he original MS raw tracks. You have a finite set of bits per channel. When =
you apply other bits you lose bits of information. It may not be enough los=
s to be audible. But you have less information than you had or would have h=
ad before the audio was matrix'd.>>

> You're confusing word length with bit rate here. There is absolutely no a=
lteration of bit rate or its attendant audio bandwidth brought about by any=
 sort of post processing, editing, EQ-ing, image manipulation or other effe=
cts. What is lost in processing is resolution at the LSB, which is why 24bi=
t is preferred over 16bit, but this is an entirely different matter than an=
ything to do with sampling rates.

> Scott Fraser

Slowly getting there. Now I've figured out just where the polar pattern of =
the Emesser is and how to align the mic on top of the 416.

Could anyone advise: if I connect a 5 pin > 2 x 3 pin XLR mono splitter to =
the 5 pin M/S stereo output running from the two mics (wired together with =
a Y loom), will I get separate M and S signals on L and R?

Myles

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: