Re: SD702 vs Tascam DR680 Blind Test

Subject: Re: SD702 vs Tascam DR680 Blind Test
From: "Mitch Hill" wa1ykn
Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:20 pm ((PDT))
At 09:43 PM 8/17/2010 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi--
>An opportunity for interested ears:
>
>As he pondered which professional audio recorder to purchase for his
>surround recording needs using AT4022's mics, Emil Klotzsch conducted
>several comparison tests this summer including a Sound Devices 702
>recorder (same mic pre as the 744T) and a Tascam DR680. I compiled
>one of these tests into a 3.5 mb QuickTime movie which you can
>download and play on your computer with QuickTime or a QuickTime
>compatible player:  http://tinyurl.com/2flkpjk

Rob,
as my tired old computer has a problem with Quick-Time movies, I'd be very=

interested in a brief summary of his comparison of the two recorders.

Reason being, I have a Tascam DR-680 and while I find the audio recording
capability to be quite good, however, in my own words, it is extremely
unreliable about writing data to the SD card.  Sometimes it simply freezes,=

have to pull the batteries and AC adapter to get it back and file size =3D =
0
(zero)..  Also, sometimes, part way through a recording and it stops with a=

"file error" on the display, or at end of recording get "File doesn't
exist" error and yet when I hook up the USB port, the file is there and OK,=

I can download it and play it on the computer...  $250 worth of memory
cards as recommended by Tascam later, the problem still exists. Dealer sent=

me a second DR-680, first recording right out of the box, 3 minutes, 25
seconds into the recording, the 2nd unit froze with the same symptoms of
the first unit and will do this almost predictably...

Bottom line is I like the recorder...  When it works, it works very well
however with no reliability, if the dealer or Tascam doesn't come up with a=

fix by the time the trial period is over, its going back much to my
frustration...

So, I'm looking to hear something positive about the DR-680, I hate to give=

up on this recorder, it is a unique unit but with less than 50% reliability=

out of two of them, it has no
future with me...

Has anyone else had file handling and lock up problems that you know of
with the DR-680?

I'm desperate to find a solution...

--

Thanks,