SD702 vs Tascam DR680 Blind Test

Subject: SD702 vs Tascam DR680 Blind Test
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:37 pm ((PDT))
Paul Jacobson wrote on another string today Aug 17, 2010:

>The [Fostex] FR2-LE is a good performer without a mixer in front,
>but SQN, Sound Devices, et al are really a step up in sound quality
>from prosumer recorders like FR2-LE and [Tascam] HDP2. The list
>tends to fixate on self-noise, and while this is important
>consideration, once you get to a point where the preamps don't
>audibly degrade the mic's a range of other performance factors come
>into play. My experience upgrading from a [Tascam] HDP2 to a Sound
>Devices 722 was that there was a noticeable improvement i n the
>clarity and "preciseness" of the preamps while using the same mic,
>so I feel there are definitely overall improvements to be had by
>using a mixer in front of a prosumer recorder.

Hi--
An opportunity for interested ears:

As he pondered which professional audio recorder to purchase for his
surround recording needs using AT4022's mics, Emil Klotzsch conducted
several comparison tests this summer including a Sound Devices 702
recorder (same mic pre as the 744T) and a Tascam DR680. I compiled
one of these tests into a 3.5 mb QuickTime movie which you can
download and play on your computer with QuickTime or a QuickTime
compatible player:  http://tinyurl.com/2flkpjk

Maximum pre gain was used on both recorders. There were a few
environmental sounds Emil was unable to eliminate in his urban
located studio. Both recorders were operated on battery power for the
test. Rob D.

QuickTime Player (free, cross-platform) will display the region
changes most accurately: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

Other free QT-Compatible players:
VideoLan Player http://www.videolan.org/
MPGStream Clip: http://www.squared5.com/