Re: Digest Number 4776

Subject: Re: Digest Number 4776
From: "James Shatto" wwwshadow7
Date: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:14 pm ((PDT))
The more expensive stuff addresses issues and are far more forgiving in pra=
ctice.=A0 Wind noise, handling noise, proximity effect, .......=A0 Cheap mi=
cs, while still good, can be very problematic.=A0 When you push that gain d=
ial past 20dB, you need a good mic or all you get is niagra falls in an are=
a that has no water bodies for 50+ miles.=A0 We can to some extent filter t=
hat noise in post.=A0 But some of the stuff we might have wanted to keep ge=
ts filtered as well.

Various rigging and stuff to help a cheap mic cope in a situation where a d=
ecent mic might run naked and do equal or better.=A0 But once you start get=
ting out there in more realistic conditions, windy, humid, hot, bitter cold=
, whatever, the cheap stuff will show it's stripes and some of the not chea=
p stuff will just think that it's another day at the office.=A0 Not that yo=
u need it to make a good recording.=A0 But having the good stuff can save y=
ou a ton of time in post.=A0 And increase the odds of making a good recordi=
ng.=A0 Which is why you upgrade as life and resources allow.=A0

I guess I've been going on four years now of pursuing recording abilities.=
=A0 Even though I was a trombonist for 20+ years before that, and still lac=
ked ANY recording gear until four years ago.=A0 You don't have to own thous=
ands in gear, there are rental shops available in many areas.=A0 It doesn't=
 afford you much practice time, or right place right time magic moments.=A0=
 But it is an option without getting invested in gear.=A0 It's a route wort=
h pursuing anyway so you get a feel for what you don't want to invest in.=
=A0

There's also resale values to consider.=A0 I probably have $500 in cheap mi=
cs at the moment.=A0 And in this economy I'd probably only get $50 as a bun=
dle on them.=A0 Plus the six months to find a buyer.=A0 Anything I've bough=
t with an MSRP over $300, I could probably sell in less than a month for at=
 least half of what I paid for it IMO.=A0 As opposed to 1/10th.=A0 And sinc=
e I bought most of that stuff used at half price to start with....=A0 Even =
steven...

Sorry about your other hardships.=A0 I've been at it a while now, and I pay=
 more in car insurance (accident free, only two speeding tickets in 20+ yea=
rs) than I invest in recording gear.=A0 But I decided to be in it for the l=
ong haul and have been fairly commited to sinking $1K a year (or less) into=
 my gear.=A0 Mostly adding one capability per year, and eventually upgradin=
g one capability per year.=A0 Year one mics, year two field recorder, year =
three camcorder, this year I've been mostly dealing with rigging and got ne=
w preamps.

But like you the winds are not favorable at this time.=A0 A far percentage =
of my funds for gear has come from putting all the stuff I would have other=
wise thrown away up for sale on craigslist.=A0 That old computer desk you w=
ere going to throw on the burn pile and light it up, might bring you $50 if=
 you just take a picture and list it.=A0 I sold an old Bass Trombone I boug=
ht from a liquidating store for $700-ish for $1,200.=A0 I sold my better tr=
ombone that I bought for $850 for $1,000.=A0 Keeping my old junker from hig=
h school 20+ years ago.=A0 I tried selling the old one, but no takers.=A0 S=
o I listed them all and kept the one that didn't sell.=A0 Many means to an =
end.=A0 The Zoom H1 might be worth looking at.=A0 If your budget is super t=
ight.

- James